Construction Worker Talking On The Phone Stock Photo

Why You Need A Paterson, NJ, Attorney After A Work Injury

Get a FREE Case Review

"*" indicates required fields

Hurt on the Job in New Jersey | Peter N. Davis & Associates LLC

Workplace injuries happen all the time, every day. There are millions of such industries in all sectors of employment every year. Workers’ compensation insurance exists to protect you should such a thing occur. Unfortunately, it’s not always so cut and dried as filing a claim, and you may need legal representation to make sure you get the full amount to which you are entitled. Learn what you should do when you’re hurt on the job in New Jersey, how to file for workers’ compensation and what laws apply to your situation.

Workers’ Compensation Claims

The first thing you want to do if you are injured is seek medical care. You must inform your employer of your injury as soon as is humanly possible and ideally within 24 hours of your injury. Be aware that the clock is ticking on the time you have to file a claim, and the sooner you do so, the better off you are.

Your employer should have claim forms for you to complete and submit to get the process started. If for some reason they refuse to cooperate, call the local workers’ compensation office and make sure you talk to an attorney. Refusal to cooperate is a violation of your rights as a worker.

Disputes and Approvals

If your employer does not dispute your injury claim, the insurance carrier will have an adjuster contact you for submitting your medical bills. You may discover that some (or even all) of the bills you submit will be challenged. Remember that insurance companies don’t profit from paying out. This is an unfortunate truth of the industry.

What this means is that you should keep painstakingly detailed documentation of the injury and every step of your recovery. The more information you have, the better you can defend yourself against challenges.

What You Can Get

The amount you can get reimbursed depends on your individual injury. If your injury is minor and not permanent, you’ll likely get coverage of your medical bills and that will take care of the problem. If, however, you are disabled in the short or long-term, or even permanently, you may have cause to fight for such coverage as lost wages and potential or other compensation.

To be certain that your rights are protected, and to have the best chance of getting full coverage for your injury, it’s best to contact an employment law attorney. You’re not causing trouble or being combative by doing so; you’re protecting your rights. A lawyer has the experience and expertise necessary to guide you through the entire process and can be sure that you have an important ally in your corner every step of the way.

Hurt on the Job in Paterson, NJ?

If you’re hurt on the jobPeter N. Davis and Associates, LLC | Paterson Personal Injury Lawyer in New Jersey, make sure you report your injury and file the proper paperwork, then contact a qualified and experienced Paterson workers’ compensation attorney. Peter N. Davis & Associates have more than two decades of experience in injury claims and are here to make sure that you get all of the compensation you need to heal and regain control of your life. There’s no obligation and no cost for a consultation; contact us today.