Mechanic Working In An Auto Body Shop Stock Photo

What You Need to Know About Applying For Workers’ Comp in Paterson, NJ

Get a FREE Case Review

"*" indicates required fields

Workers' Comp in Paterson | Peter N. Davis & Associates LLC

Nobody wants to get hurt on the job. Instead, most of us would much rather be healthy and working. Accidents do happen, however, and if you were involved in one at work and are now facing resistance as you attempt to apply for workers’ compensation, you may need to hire a personal injury lawyer to help get you the benefits you deserve.

The Paterson, New Jersey-based legal team at Peter Davis & Associates has years of experience dealing with workers’ comp claims, and we know what to look out for during the application process. This short guide should therefore help should you ever get injured at work.

When Should You File a Claim?

When it comes to workers’ comp cases, you have a two-year statute of limitations during which time you must file your formal claim. Filing an informal claim during this time instead, however, does not stop your two-year time limit from running out, so as soon as you are aware of an occupational illness or have been hurt on the job, you should move forward with making a claim. For this step, you will want legal representation.

What Is an Informal Claim?

If there is a dispute between an employee and an employer or insurance provider, you can file for an informal hearing before a judge. This is a means of dealing with workers’ comp questions without having to go through lengthier legal obstacles. The types of questions that can be addressed at an informal hearing include temporary benefits and other medical treatment costs.

After hearing your case, the judge will then make a non-binding suggestion to all parties involved that can be used as a benchmark for future aid. While it is not required to have legal counsel during an informal hearing, you should still have one, specifically when discussing major issues such as permanent disability.

What Is a Formal Claim?

When the injured party decides to make a formal claim, it will be more important than ever to have representation. Usually these longer proceedings will take place within six months of filing a claim, so you will probably need to seek temporary benefits in the meantime. Usually, these claims are settled out of court during the pretrial stage, but should the case go all the way, the judge will render a final decision that can only be appealed through the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court.

Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer Today

Getting hurt on the job can lead to an immediate change in the quality of your life. Instead of working, now you are dealing with numbing legal hurdles and struggling to keep yourself together as you wait to heal. Understandably, this is a dismal quagmire to find yourself in, and the team at Peter Davis & Associates would like to prevent it from happening.

If you are out of work due to an occupational injury and need help filing your workers’ comp claim, contact a representative at the offices of Peter Davis & Associates today to see what we can do for you. Our goal is to get you the compensation you deserve until you are well enough to jump back into the labor force, so call today.

Skip to content